I've been quiet this week - but not because nothing is happening. I've been making steady progress on a few projects, just not enough to show any pictures yet.
Bu-u-u-u-t, I do have pictures of the embroidery sample I finished a couple of weeks ago! No, I don't know why I did not post this earlier. Out with the fairies, I guess!
I am following Sharon B's Stitch Explorer project and last month we explored the Chicken Scratch. I recognize the stitch, but can't remember ever trying to stitch it myself. It is usually done on a gingham fabric with white thread. That creates a very nice lacy pattern.
This photo was taken at night, so everything looks yellow. The stitch is a series of cross stitch - or double cross - and then lacing around the white squares in the fabric. The heart shape is half done here, so you can see the two elements of the stitch.
I tried a couple of different layouts and color settings on the checked fabric;
And some variations on a linen fabric, with just lacing,
and with both lacing and cross stitches. I can imagine some ways to use this stitch for a patterned area, or as fill-in.
But, I think I will most likely use it as an embellishment on gingham. I remember some aprons from long ago. And I like that crisp lacy look. Can't help it!
This month we are working on trellis stitch. I will share my experiments with that later.