Saturday, November 26, 2016

There must be a name for my condition

So, in my last post I showed you several projects in various stages of completion.  Any sane person would be happy to keep working on that and maybe even – oh I don’t know – actually complete some of them!

But any sane person is not me!  While I have been working on the afore mentioned projects, I had to start two new ones.  Of course I had to!  They called to me and I could not resist!

christmas nov26

First up is an embroidery project I picked up on a Shop Hop awhile ago.  It’s by Barri Sue Gaudet of Bareroots.  When I took a class on “twilling” I knew exactly how I would do this piece.  I had the squares assembled and fabrics fused in a single afternoon.  The twilling is the heavier lines in the letters and a few of the details.  You will be seeing more about twilling in the near future.

DSC00486

The second new project is Lucy Boston’s Patchwork of the Cross.  I’ve been seeing pictures of this pattern on various web sites for quite some time.  On the same Shop Hop trip I mentioned above, I finally found the book and some elongated hexies.  It took a little while to pick some fabrics and read up on the project.  But I’m ready – why not start now?  This one will be a long-term project, probably reserved for TV time.  I love how the stripe fabrics come out in these blocks.  I also am looking forward to some fussy cutting for other pattern matching.

Lest you think I have abandoned my other projects, here are some updates.

Forest quad A

Here is the first quadrant of Fancy Forest all assembled.  Just three more of these and I’ll have a finished top!  This piece is about 30x43, so the finished quilt will be pretty big!

DSC00503

And here’s a finish!  Stars and Hourglass was all from my scraps and I’m pleased with the way it turned out – even if it did present some challenges.  For some reason I could not calculate how many red squares I needed.  At first I came up short by more than two rows.  After making some more hourglass blocks, I now have quite a few left over!!  But I lucked out on the borders – there was about 3” left of the blue when I finished.  Whew!  This will go to Quilts of Valor.  I can probably use those extra hourglasses on the pillowcase!

I have some more blocks done on Farmer’s Wife, but no photos yet.  I need to dig out my cutting table so I can get some more projects done.  Or maybe it’s the other way around!

I’m going to try to resist starting anything new for awhile.  Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Gina E. said...

Resist starting anything new?? Oh no you don't! I can't be the only insane person on this earth who starts new projects on a whim without completing the previously started projects!
I love the Stars and Hourglass quilt - what a wonderful design to donate to Quilts Of Valor. Some deserving serviceman/woman will really love it.
Maybe in our next life we will live nearby and be able to stitch our lives away together instead of from the other side of the world ;-)