Sunday, October 3, 2010

Catching Up

As I started to prepare a post about my latest Traveling Page, I realized I did not post about July OR August!  We have to fix that!  So here they are.

front

In July, my page went to Kath in Greece whose theme is Flowers.  I built a "trellis" of bias strips and meandered green yarn through to represent the vine. 

P7280003

I found these cool flower collections in the scrapbooking section of the local hobby store.  There are lots of paper and fabric flowers all in the same color range in each container.  The blue caught my eye and that's what I went with!  I attached one to three flowers together and added a beaded center.  Some were fringe beads and some simply circles.  Some green wired ribbon made nice leaves.

back

I had this cool floral print in my stash for the backing.

My August page was for Maya in India, and her theme is Leaves.

finishedpage

Sometime last year I took a class on free motion embroidery.  In one of the lessons we made leaves and I attempted to repeat those lessons in this page.  I should have gone back to re-read the lesson!  But the page turned out fine - if not exactly what I had in my head!

P8230005

I used a water soluble stabilizer while stitching and then just dunked it into water (seen here) to remove it. 

P8230006

Once the piece had air dried and been pressed, I layered it on top of a light fabric and added the individual leaves along with a few beads.

back

I happened across this quote from Tagore which seemed to fit this page exactly!  I used a graphic frame from the Graphics Fairy and printed it onto cotton fabric, which was then fused to the  same yellow as I placed behind the leaves.

The September page is making its way to the next recipient as I type this.  Once I hear it has arrived, I'll share it with you as well.

1 comment:

Annie said...

Those are all so pretty. You manage to come up with so many different and interesting techniques for these!