Monday, March 12, 2012

Sculpting on Monday

I had so much fun today that I just have to share!  In some of the Wednesday WOW posts, there have been hints of heads and hands.  They are still a ways from completion, but I’m so tickled with the direction they are going.  Well, mostly!

P2240013

These are the first two heads I made while taking an on-line class.  Aren’t they a pair of characters?

P2240007I have plans for this guy, but that will come in its own time.  He needs more neck and (although you can’t see) more shape to the back of his head.  Then he will get painted.

P3110005 The painting is one of the things that have not been going so well.  Fortunately, I “practiced” on the other head first.  I’ve done some research and I think I know what to do.  He doesn’t look as bad as I thought a couple of days ago.  Amazing what a good night’s sleep can do!!

P3120002Today, I worked on a third head!  I wanted to experiment with working smaller and try for a different look.  On this guy, I baked the clay between each of the major steps – eyes, nose and cheeks, mouth and chin, etc.  He still needs a forehead and a neck, but I can’t help but smile every time I look at him!  This one is definitely a keeper!

P3120004And this guy?  We had something of an ear mishap today!   As I was adding to the top and back of his head, that right ear snapped off!  No problem.  I now know you can add clay and bake it again, so I set about “stitching” it back on.  But, feeling so proud of my solution, I forgot one little thing.  Thin pieces need to be shielded when baked more than once.  All it needed was a little foil tent . . . and I forgot!

So, now I’m thinking I’ll probably use a dark skin-tone for this guy.  Yeah, that ought to do it!  Stay tuned to see how that turns out!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Liz,

The big question is whether the good nights sleep improved the maker as much as the doll!

Love all the heads and look forward to seeing them with some bodies. (Unless yuo quit while they are a head!

Judy B