Sunday, July 29, 2012

Sunday Serendipity – Tucks

I wasn’t expecting to enjoy this topic quite as much as I did.  Not only does the geometry of it appeal to my left-brain side, but some of the results are pretty spectacular and definitely appeal to my right-brain side!

P7290004I started out with some straight-forward tucks.  I carefully measured and marked, but in spite of that I managed to make these a bit wonky!  It still looks good, though, so I’m not going to stress over it.

P7290005 I needed to try something more eye-catching – like this honeycomb pattern.  After make the initial tucks, I “appliquéd” a contrasting ribbon over the folded edges. 

P7290006That was pretty tedious, though, what with stitching each tuck multiple times.  I have some other ideas for adding color to try in the future.  By the way, I don’t know why these two photos look a different color.  It’s the same fabric!

P7290007For the next experiment, I needed a larger piece and, my, wasn’t that fun to stitch those lo-o-o-ng tucks!  But I do think it was worth it . . .

P7290008 because after I cut and re-stitched, this is the result.  I do think it’s pretty cool, if I say so myself!  I did the stitching in the center of each segment after assembly, so the center is not so neat or pretty.  I will probably put a button or yo-yo there.

P7290009And here’s today’s results on the design wall.  Now that has the makings to become something very interesting, don’t you think?  

Oh boy!  Can’t wait to see what next week brings!

3 comments:

Gina E. said...

It sure does! So where did this idea spring from?

Kay said...

Oh, very nice! I love the spider web effect.

I like your snail trail version by the way. It's a bit different, isn't it?

Nancy said...

I like the octagon fabric manipulation you made. I took a class with Jenny about 8 yrs. ago and she was marvelous.

I liked the EQ designs you came up with for the Challenge, I will have to give it a try--reminds me of the light brights my children had when they were young.