Saturday, September 19, 2009

7 Days on a Bus

And my - er, behind is very tired!  But I had a great time and I want to share some of it with you.  I know that this is not supposed to be a travel blog or anything like that, so I'll just hit some of the high spots for you.

First I'll tell you, the trip was a tour of the Rockies by train.  We traveled on three different railroads and had a bus to get between.

P9130037

After a night in Denver we rode the Georgetown Loop Railroad.  The track loops over itself on this 75 foot high trestle.

P9140087

Then we drove south, through Colorado Springs, and on to Canon City to ride the Royal Gorge Railroad.  The views were spectacular!

P9140264

On the way to Durango, we had a little trouble! 

P9140270

From now on I will spell Good Samaritan "Saguache".  This little town sent a school bus for us and gave us free run of their Community Center.

P9140273

The wait for a new bus was 8 hours!  But we filled the time and got to know our fellow travelers much better. 

P9150330

After crossing Wolf Creek Pass in the dark and rain (!!), we spent a day in Durango and the Mesa Verde National Park.

P9160395

Next we rode the narrow gauge steam train from Durango to Silverton where the  bus met us and we headed for Grand Junction.

P9170647

While in Grand Junction we visited the Colorado National Monument, then headed back east.

P9170822

A few sightseeing stops and a brief tour of downtown Denver and we headed home. 

This brief travelogue can't begin to convey all the amazing things we saw, the meals we ate, or the great people we met.  Not to mention more than 800 pictures!!  Thank goodness for digital cameras and rechargeable batteries.  LOL!  I have pages of notes and ideas for future art work. 

And I am sooo-o-o-o-o glad to be home!

1 comment:

Orice said...

Welcome home and hoo-ray for having such an interesting and unusual adventure! I haven't been on a train in several years and you trip really triggers the urge in me to do so again!