As promised, I have roses to show you today. Well, fabric roses anyway.
This flower involves a lot of creasing and folding and tucking, so I started big! This is a six-inch square and it measures about three-and-a-half when finished. I think it is actually too big to get the impression of a rose. So I started working with smaller squares.
This one is from a four-inch square. I see now that the picture is blurry, but maybe you can tell that it is a bit more poufy and slightly better proportioned.
This one is from a three-inch square. That’s getting pretty small for all those folds and tucks! This one looks pretty lumpy, because the center was actually too big! The center is from a separate square and it took me awhile to get the hang of folding that and tucking it inside. Small stitches from the back are what hold the rose together and this one took a lot of stitches!
By the end of my play time I had decided that the perfect size is from a 3.5-inch square. I was also getting better at inserting the center piece and holding it all together with just a few stitches. The red fabric has less sizing in it and I think I like that softer look better. Sounds like a good reason to pre-wash my fabric!
I can definitely imagine ways to use this little flower. It takes a lot of practice and definitely patience, but now that I know I can do it, I’ll have to look closer at the projects in the book. There’s bound to be an idea that appeals.
Next week is a different kind of rose. It looks interesting, too. We’ll have to see how that goes.