Sunday, December 9, 2012

Serendipity Sunday–Flowers with a Difference

This week I’m starting a different book:

PC090003

Rebecca Wat is an Origami artist and she has adapted some of that to fabric.  Each chapter in this book demonstrates how to fold a flower, and then gives a couple of patterns for quilts, wall hangings, or embellished garments.  The pictures are all yummy, too!

PC090006

PC090005

Up first is a star-flower.  I made a couple of these and you can see that it works best with a solid or near-solid fabric.  The sizing in the print made it somewhat resistant to creasing, so I “helped” it along with a couple of blind stitches.  The plain yellow, however, is au naturelle.

PC090008

PC090010

I also tried a couple of variations on the basic star fold.  Those were fun, so I decided to go on to the next chapter.

PC090012

This is a flower with petals that open out and is the style shown on the book’s cover.  This one started out as a 6-inch square, but I also did some from 3 1/2 inch squares.

PC090013

I had a couple of issues here.  Besides not being able to tell right-side from wrong-side, that is! 

PC090014

The petal points are formed where the raw edge is folded in.  As you can see in the close-up, it can be difficult to keep those raw edges tucked out of sight.  This is a case where you want the extra sizing that I struggled with in the first flower.  I really like these little 2-inch flowers, though, so I would probably add some anti-fraying solution before folding.

PC090018

Here’s a shot of all of today’s flowers.  You can see I tried them in a variety of sizes and layouts.  There are lots of fun things I could do with these. 

Next week . . . Roses!

No comments: