Tuesday, January 21, 2014

The “Lizzie” Effect

Once upon a time, there was a little girl named Lizzie.  Lizzie loved the art classes in school and would get so excited about a new project that she would jump right in . . . without waiting for the teacher’s directions . . . or somehow not hearing what the teacher said to do.  This would lead to some puzzling results and not a little surprise when her work did not quite look like everyone else’s.

As Lizzie grew up, she learned to pay more attention whenever a teacher, co-worker, or boss gave instructions on how a project should be done.  However, as she got older, she began to suspect she didn’t really know how to read instructions.  Because, you see, her projects continued to be just a little bit different than she expected.

Now, if there is one thing this little girl has “learned from all this livin’” it is that some battles are never going to be won, so acceptance is the best way to handle them.

Thus, we have the Lizzie Effect.

Case in point:

hunters star standard

This is a block called “Hunter’s Star.”  Last week, I attended a class in which we learned some neat tricks to make this block.  Here is what several of them put together might look like:

quilt-hunters star standard

Pretty, huh?

Now, here is what my blocks look like:

P1190003

See what I mean?  They are really pretty blocks (this photo is too dark for some reason), and I did not notice that they didn’t look like everyone else’s until they were all sewn.  Sooooo, since I have umpteen identical, perfectly pieced blocks, I am calling this a design variation.  I’m still considering the layout, but here is just one of many possibilities:

quilt-hunters star my way

Yep, it’s a design variation and I like it that way.  Only you and I know it’s actually the Lizzie Effect, and I won’t tell!  How about you?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought it was called the Judy Effect!

My excuse is that I never want to make what anybody else is making, or has made, or might make in the future.

Besides, the only time I followed instructions to the letter, to put together a set of blocks I had won, the instructions were wrong! So if every time I have used instructions they are wrong, why would I bother!

Anonymous said...

Oops! Forgot to tell you I like the variation!