Thursday, March 16, 2017

Houston, we have a problem

So, way back here, I showed you some Stack ‘n Whack blocks.  I finished the blocks themselves and started to put them together in an on-point layout.

DSC00740

Thinking I was about half way done, I pinned it to the wall to see how it looked.  Uh oh.  Let’s take a closer look:

nemo-lines

Alrighty then.  A little basic geometry reveals the problem (if not a solution yet).  These blocks are rectangular instead of square.  Thus, the angle is not 45 degrees, which is the basis of the typical on-point quilt.  Well, I never could do math in my head!

So, I will be spending some quality time with my seam ripper and then take another look at layout options.  I do like how the background forms those diamonds, so I think I’ll start there.  Stay tuned for the next installment of Life with the Mathematically Challenged!

No comments: