For some reason I have always been intrigued by Block of the Month efforts. Can't explain it. Maybe it's the idea of a full year's commitment. Or how the holidays and seasons lead us through year after year - the same yet different.
I've been following several BOM blogs and have actually picked one to stitch along with. This is Ellies Quilt Place and when you visit her blog you can see that she has a pretty wide following. Some are doing all embroidery and some are doing a combination of applique and embroidery. I chose the second option.
I like this particular BOM effort because they are both simple and attractive. I love the designs and the freedom of choosing fabrics for applique, but I also love that I can get each month's completed fairly quickly! LOL!
Here is what I have done so far. I cut a large piece of background fabric and stitched a grid on it so there is a square for each month. The patterns also have the month name stitched on each square, but I am going to wait on that. I may decide to use these blocks without the month names. If I wind up using the months, I can stitch them at any time.
Here is January . . .
and February . . .
I haven't quite started April yet. Hey! The month isn't over yet!!!
Here are some other BOM sites I've been following - just not stitching!
- Faulengraben has some gorgeous flower embroideries, apparently inspired by the work of Theodor Storm. Too bad I don't speak German!
- A Christmas Wish by Gail Pan
- Verandah Views from Willowberry Designs
- Once Upon A Time (OUAT) at Capricorn Quilts. You'll also want to check out last year's Quilters' Blessings.
- A Tisket, A Tasket 12 Months of Baskets at Bunny Hill Designs
I will never live long enough to stitch and sew all the patterns I already have! Oh dear.