Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Caffeina

This is the Traveling Page I made for Johoanna in April.  Johoanna's theme is "The Goddess Within."

P4190004When I started thinking about a design for the Goddess Within, I was thinking of something very spiritual and indicative of our inner nature – perhaps something shared among all women. As I did my research, I came across some wonderful web sites dedicated to identifying your inner goddess and maintaining a spiritual connection to the world. These were very inspiring. One of them led me to an on-line list of gods and goddesses. On this list, I found Caffeina.

Caffeina captured my imagination like no other name on these lists. I tried to move on to something more meaningful, but Caffeina would not let me go. I realized that I was already a sometime worshipper of this goddess and once acknowledging that, I was hers irrevocably!

There is no clear agreement whether Caffeina is an ancient goddess or of more modern origins – known as a “found goddess.” I will share what I found and let you make your own decision.

According to the Goddess of Random Thoughts!, Caffeina is imagethe . . .

patroness of coffee, tea, and other caffeinated drinks or foods. Caffeina is the Roman goddess of energy, stamina, and determination. Usually portrayed as a beautiful woman rising from a coffee cup, the goddess Caffeina gives clear thought, energy and creativity.

There is a nice legend about the origins of coffee here (scroll down), and a more "scholarly" essay here.  If you wish to revere Caffeina, follow her directions in the Charge of the Goddess Caffeina. 

I made the front of this page using simple patchwork, appliqué, and hand embroidery. I used EQ6 (my newest favorite toy!) to help plan the layout.

 P4190006

On the back, I used Shiva paint sticks and a stamp of the goddess Venus to embellish a piece of batik. I used eyelash yarn and a beaded border to finish the edges.

I'm now working on the May page.  So far, so good.   I think you'll like this one, too!  And check out what everyone else has been doing on the Story of the Traveling Page.

4 comments:

Annie said...

Caffeina can be my guardian angel given how much coffee I drink!

I love that piece, especially how you've used so many different techniques on both front and back.

Kay said...

What a clever piece, Liz! Another winner for its recipient.

Elizabeth said...

Thanks for the links Liz and all of the great info!!! Hugs!
Elizabeth

Gina E. said...

I would give anything to be as creative as you, Liz! I love these unique pieces that you make.