Monday, March 7, 2011

Playing in Electric Quilt

Lately, I've been spending an awful lot of time with virtual quilts rather than real ones.  Although I did not start making quilts (real or virtual) until just a few years ago, I have collected quilting magazines for a long, long time.   The collection was very haphazard at first - a cover would catch my eye, or MIL would recommend something.  Just in the last year or so have I subscribed to a couple of quilt related magazines.

Well, now that there are 2 or 3 magazines coming every month, I am rapidly running out of shelf space!  Time to either prune books & magazines or get new shelves!  Since Sarge was less than enthusiastic about new shelving (you have no idea!), I have been going through the older magazines a little at a time, culling and tossing.  And having a ball getting reacquainted with all that eye candy!

And then I came upon this magazine:

 P3070007

This magazine is a keeper!  And I decided right away that I need to get those blocks into Electric Quilt!  It hasn't always been easy, but I've learned a lot and I think I can move around in EQ7 pretty well now.

What's that?  Of course I'll show you some of them!!!

auntmarys_irishchain-blk Aunt Mary's Irish Chain

barristers_block-blk Barrister's Block

beggarblock-blk Beggar's Block

childrenofisrael-blk Children of Israel

concord-blk Concord

dutch_waterways-blkDutch Waterways

This is just a sampling of the gorgeous blocks in this magazine - and now in my EQ7!  So, now that I have the blocks drafted, I am playing with quilt layouts.  OMG!  That is so much fun!  And soooo easy to lose track of time.  LOL!  If you don't hear from me in awhile, you'll know what I'm doing.  But, I plan to share some of my experiments with you, so stay tuned.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good to see you practicing, Liz ... next step is to use them in quilt designs!

Yeah! I know I am a hard task master and nNever satisfied with small steps!

Judy B

Kay said...

I have this magazine and love it! I just bought Sally Collin's book Drafting for the Creative Quilter. I doubt if I'll do much with it, but I think it would help in getting blocks into EQ, which I've also found hard sometimes. She gives a good explanation of how to determine a grid, etc. Some of it makes my head ache, but still...

Nice Kansas scene on the background of your blog!