Sunday, September 18, 2011

Sunday Salvage

Hi there – I’m back!  And remember I said I had something cooking?

P9180001

This is rusty pieces of metal (salvage . . . get it?) wrapped in fabric and soaked with a vinegar and water solution.  I wrapped it up in plastic last Sunday and it has been waiting all week.

I have to say that the hardest part of this method was to find rusty bits.  Sarge does not tolerate rust . . . on anything!  I got a blank look when I asked for help, but after a little discussion he figured he could find someone with rust of some kind.  And a bit later he came home with a handful of nuts and bolts.  Oh boy!  Were they rusty!!!

P9180002

So, this is what I found when I unwrapped the package today.  It was still dripping wet!  I rinsed the piece under warm water and hung it to dry.  I may wash the piece with detergent, but the water and a little rubbing really removed most of the rust.  Here it is drying on a hanger:

P9180011Doesn’t that look interesting?  The (mostly) blank space in the middle was where I placed a jar lid.  Since it has been sealed for food use, there wasn’t any bare metal.  I thought I’d try, anyway.  Here are a couple of close-ups:

P9180008 

Doesn’t that look like a rabbit’s head?  His eyes are kind of wild and there’s something weird going on with one ear, but I definitely see a rabbit!

P9180010

This one is more abstract.  I didn’t try to arrange the pieces, so abstract is very appropriate.  And, I’ve already got another piece cooking:

P9180007

Who knew that rusty, gross bolts and washers could be so much fun?!  I wonder what’s in store for next week!

2 comments:

Orice said...

I like the rusty look of what you have hanging up. You mini- Christmas quilt is sweet.Looks like you're well on your way to preparing for the holidays. Your continued craftiness inspires many of us,my friend. Thanks for continuing to craft and for sharing with all of us.

Gina E. said...

Ha ha!! Your blog is such fun to read - one never knows what you will come up with next!