Sophia is my latest doll, taking sweet wishes to my swap partner Anita. She has arrived safely, so now I can show you some pix.
Doesn't she look sweet and demure? I just fell in love with her! I made her for the Valentine's doll swap on Stitchin' Fingers.
I started working on her at this month's doll club meeting. We were making dolls using directions in Ray Slater's latest book, "cloth dolls for textile artists". This is the same technique as I used for Jan a couple of months ago.
Step one is to build an armature by bending a length of wire following Ray's instructions (or sort of - my best intentions don't always follow through, proportion-wise!).
Then, wrap the wire form with strips of batting and wrap, wrap, wrap until you have built up a body shape you are happy with. I stitched the batting into place as I went along since I was adding additional "padding" in strategic areas, if you know what I mean!
At this point it is best to add the head and hands. I always have a few "spare" heads lying around and find it easy to grab one and enhance the face to suit the doll. Sometimes I also have hands already made up. If you don't have a parts supply like this, there are patterns and good directions in the book.
Then you're ready to wrap again, using your chosen fabric this time. Ray suggest using a stretchy knit - and that is all I've tried so far - but I can see using a woven perhaps cut on the bias. It's your doll and you can try anything!
The fun part is last - embellishing! I put skirts on both of mine, but that is not all you can add. Ray has some excellent samples using couched fibers and threads. Ribbons are always fun. And a scattering of beads is almost a requirement!
I had so much fun with Sophia and Jan. I have to admit, that when I saw Sophia all curled up in her box ready to leave, I felt a lump in my throat. So sweet! I didn't want to part with her. Anita, you are so lucky I was brave and sent her to her new home!