Sunday, October 28, 2012

Sunday Serendipity–Artful Bias

Today’s topic is bias strips.  As with everything else in this book, bias strips can be used in lots of ways.  It’s worth noting that this book also does a good job of stepping you through a couple of ways to cut bias strips.  I’m sure I’ll need to refer to it at some time in the future!

PA280001

And so, I cut bias strips!   With 5” wide strips, I folded the edges in to meet in the center and pressed gently.

PA280002

Then I stitched them down to a piece of square fabric.  You can’t see the stitching in this photo, but it’s about 1/2 inch from each folded edge.

PA280003

This is the back of the piece.  I used a thread that matches the top fabric to do some decorative stitching so it doesn’t really show on the front.  But that’s OK.

PA280004

Because when I rolled back the edges, the stitching shows quite nicely!

PA280004

Here’s a close-up.  I think that is a really pretty stitch showing through.  I can’t imagine why I haven’t used it before this!

The rest of this book is about specific projects and the mechanics of stitching blocks with inserts and such.  I’ve read through it, but for the purposes of these Sunday explorations I’ve come to the end.

That means next Sunday I start with a new book!  I haven’t decided which one yet.  I guess you’ll have to come back next week to find out!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love it!
Nothing like finishing with a stunner.