Sunday, October 21, 2012

Sunday Serendipity–Inserted Rectangles

It’s been a couple of weeks since a Serendipity post, so let’s do a quick review.  I’ve been working my way through this book:

P6210001

 

I’ve already worked through tucks and folds and am now in the section about shapes inserted into a seam.  (By the way, if you want to check out previous Serendipity posts, click on SSunday in the categories list.)  I’ve inserted squares and triangles in various ways.

PA210001

Today, I’m working with rectangles.  These are pretty simple.  What you can see up there are rectangles folded in half and stitched between two squares.  I’ve alternated placing the fold at the top and then at the bottom.  That’s why it looks like a really bad job of matching!

PA210002

The action happens when you open the rectangle and line up the edges on the bottom. 

PA210004

See what nice triangles are formed!  I stitched a narrow “border” at top and bottom so the raw edges are hidden.  This would make an interesting border for a wall hanging or quilt.

PA210008

With the edges rolled back, there is a nice curvy look and by using contrasting fabrics like I did, you can get some really interesting shapes.  Combining these in different arrangements results in a multitude of options!

PA210012

Like this Flying Geese look alike.  Just change how the square-rectangle-square units go together.

PA210014

And – just because I can – I experimented with additional folding and rolling edge techniques.  All the various embellishments and folds used on the other shapes can be applied here. 

Next up will be working with bias strips.  Sounds like fun, huh?

1 comment:

Gina E. said...

I love this kind of quilting with all the tucks and rolled fabric. I've got a cushion cover that was made by one of my former home care clients who did a lot of quilting in her younger years. It is in the style of your pix, and I've never been able to figure out how it is done. My quilting friends all tell me it is easy when you know how, but they have yet to show me how!