Saturday, January 28, 2012

January and Chinese New Year

This month when the Chinese New Year arrived, we entered the Year of the Dragon.  So the theme for Stitchin’ Fingers’ postcard swap was – what else? – dragons!

P1180003I made this one for Heike in Germany.   I spray painted the background muslin with blue, using cloud shaped templates as a resist.  Then I cut applique pieces from fabric – including a metalic fabric for her chest and tail – and did free-motion thread sketching to add details.  The final touch was beads for her eyes, and some metal foil claws.

fromHeike

And this is the card I received from Heike.  She also did thread sketching and included a scrap of newspaper from a trip she made to China.  How cool is that? 

This was Heike’s first postcard exchange.  I think she should keep up the good work, don’t you?

No comments: