Sunday, April 7, 2013

Serendipity Sunday

The last few chapters of this Jennie Rayment book have some projects for using some of the techniques we’ve learned in a practical way.  One of them caught my interest and I made a start on it today.

It was only a start, though.  Right after breakfast, Sarge decided he wanted to go into the Big City and I wasn’t about to argue.  A day in the Big City usually includes lunch and I’m always up for that!  But it left me with a short time for experiments.

P4070003

I’ve been looking for a project for these fat quarters.  I have a bad habit of buying a fat-quarter of every fabric that catches my eye, with no idea how it can be used.  This might make sense if it has a small pattern because that is plenty for doll costuming.  But these would overwhelm a doll and it’s hard to make a quilt from a single 18x22 piece!  Although, I do have enough of them to make several large quilts if they were sewn together! 

But, I’m straying from today’s topic. . .

P4070004

I cut strips from two of the fabrics, folded the edges, and stitched down the centers with various decorative stitches.  Love those decorative stitches!

P4070005

Here is one set of strips trimmed and laid out over a backing and batting.  I’ll bet you can guess what comes next . . .

P4070006

Weaving!  Here it is all ready for the next step.  I know, the photos all look like different colors.  I discovered that gray is a difficult color to photograph and even more difficult to “Photoshop.”  Actually, that first pic is probably the closest match.

That is all there was time for, so you will have to wait to see what I plan to do with this.  For now, I think I’ll just sit and admire it. 

1 comment:

Kay said...

I can see why you would buy that fabric? Love it, and the way the weaving looks.