Sunday, April 21, 2013

Serendipity Sunday–Looking for Spring

Today was the nicest weather we’ve had recently . . . but I still wouldn’t call it Spring!  So, if I can’t have spring weather outdoors, I’ll have it in my studio.

P4210002

This is the book I’ve chosen for my next round of Sunday experimentation.  The first project is iris – my favorite flower!

P4210004

Preparing the background actually took most of my afternoon.  I used leftover fabrics from my Laura Wasilowski class.  Her hand-dyed fabrics have such bright colors and yummy variations through the rainbow.

P4210005

There was some pink/orange left, too which looked right for the vase.  The base and handles are a metallic fabric, although this photo doesn’t really show the shine.

P4210006

For buds, a quarter-circle is folded and stitched, then gathered at one end.  I pinned them in place and then fused and stitched a green calyx(?) so that the buds themselves stand free of the background.

P4210006 

Here is what it looks like at the end of the day.  There are three stems there waiting for blooms.  Those will be constructed of multiple pieces -- just like the real-life flower is -- so I’ll save that for next Sunday. 

Hmmm.  I guess I didn’t find Spring quite yet, after all.  Where there are buds, though, Spring is close by – right?

No comments: