Sunday, July 28, 2013

Serendipity Sunday–Calypso

Today marks the beginning of summer.  No, not in the real world – in Kumiko Sudo’s book on Folded Flowers!

The first flower is called Calypso, which is a type of orchid, also known as “fairy slipper.”  It grows in the northern states, Canadian provinces, and northern countries of Europe and Asia.  I don’t think I’ve ever seen one (I lived in Washington state for many years), but it reminds me of a snapdragon.

P7280001a

This flower begins with a hexagon shape.  This shape is folded several times and stitched here and there.  I had intended to take a few process pictures, but had trouble wrapping my brain around just how to make those folds.  In fact, it took me most of the afternoon to get the first blossom finished!

P7280002a

I was finally able to manufacture something that closely resembles the photos in the book.  I’m not sure it resembles the actual flower, but I do not intend to let that get in my way!  Each subsequent  blossom was easier to do, so that by the fifth one, I was feeling pretty confident.

P7280005a

I wanted to wait before cutting out the leaves.  I think I am going to want them smaller for the final piece.  For now, though, I pinned up the pattern pieces against a scrap of yellow linen.  It’s a triangle, so I will need to hunt up another background fabric.

P7280003a

This gives you a sense of how it will look anyway. 

P1010013

By the way, here is what the Spring Botanical Garden looks like at the moment.  I’m auditioning fabrics for the border and then will be ready to quilt the background in preparation for sewing on the flowers.

I’m so happy to have my little camera back, too!

No comments: