Sunday, July 21, 2013

Serendipity Sunday–Phlox

 

Today’s flower is a fairly common one in North America, but a factoid I was not aware of is that there are 67 different species in the genus “phlox.”  Wow!

07212013-006

Since this is a five-petaled flower, I started with fabric pentagons.

07212013-005

With each corner folded to the center and stitched, the edges of neighboring petal openings are caught together.  I had intended to take a photo of an interim step to show the process, but I guess I was so absorbed in making these fun flowers that I forgot!

07212013-004

In fact, I thought the first three were so pretty, I made a couple more!  The leaves are a single layer and will be appliqued when I prepare the final piece.

07212013-001

This is the last flower in the section on Spring.  I will have to give the overall composition some thought and start working on stitching these in place permanently.  In the meantime I need to clear the wall space for the next section.

Next week we start on Summer.  The weather is certainly cooperating with that idea!

1 comment:

Gina E. said...

Sounds like you will have a fabric version of the Botanic Gardens over there! Lovely work.