Sunday, September 15, 2013

Serendipity Sunday–Mandarin

800px-Mandarin_flower

This picture is of a mandarin orange blossom.  However, the book’s author refers to Mandarin as blooming in late summer or fall.  I’m pretty sure all citrus trees bloom in the spring, so this is not the right flower.  My internet searches did not turn up any other option, however, so I’m going with this for my color guidance. 

P9150001

The starting shape is an octagon and a piece of batting is basted to half the pieces before they are stitched together.

P9150003

Fold the points to the center . . .

P9150002

and some manipulating and stitching results in something I’ve encountered before in this series.  But, it’s not done yet!

P9150004a

By gathering the outer edge and adding some stuffing, these flowers are like little squished balls.  My versions don’t show as much of the center as the book samples, but they are pretty striking anyway.  The string of buds are simply pieces of gathered ribbon. 

The way the buds are lined up as if budding from a long branch also makes me think that this is not based on the mandarin orange tree.  If any of you out there have traveled in Japan during the autumn and know what a mandarin flower really looks like, I’d love to hear from you.

P9150005a

For now, though, the Autumn garden is beginning to take shape just a little.  And behind the scenes, I have decided on a general layout for the Summer piece.  I’ll be preparing leaves and background in the next few days.  There isn’t anything to show just yet, but I think I’m going to like it!

1 comment:

Gina E. said...

I am increasingly fascinated by this project of yours, Liz! I'm looking forward to seeing the end result - it sounds fabulous.