Sunday, September 29, 2013

Serendipity Sunday–Vanda

240px-Purple_flowers_Da_Lat

The Vanda is a member of the orchid family and grows mostly in Asia.  I consider all orchids to be the ultimate exotic.  Since I have a very brown thumb (I can kill even the hardiest house plant!) I tend to stay far away from orchids.  I’m afraid just breathing on them will cause damage!  LOL!

P9290001

I started today with an octagon, but from then on, the process was quite different from any of the other flowers. 

P9290004a

As you can see, these examples each turned out a bit different.  Once I figured out the instructions, though, they went together pretty quickly.  I should mention here, that these complex forms are the buds!

P9290002a

This is one of the flowers – something I didn’t realize until after I cut all the petals fr9om green fabric!  I will have to cut some from the purple before sewing things down permanently.  I can use the green for leaves in some other area.

P9290003a

Here’s a close-up of the flower center.  It was probably the easiest part of the whole exercise!

P9290007a

Here is my autumn garden so far.  I’m glad I chose to pin the pieces on for now.  This week’s flower is not quite what I wanted – green flowers and blue stems don’t quite work for autumn.

Come to think of it – today was pretty much how my whole week has been . . . not quite what I wanted!  But tomorrow starts a new – and better – week!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Look at a real orchid in flower as a bunch of flowers which will last a bit longer than the average bunch of daisies.
The fabric version will last longer! Well done.