Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Wednesday WOW–September 11

Started on something new – erm, current and new.  Uh.  Let me explain.

P9110001a

I’ve been working on this quilt since May, but one step at a time.  That’s because it is a Block-of-the-Month program.  I’ve wanted to keep up-to-date on this project, but today did not go well.

This morning I got all the fabrics cut – that took all morning.  Then I had to prep the foundation papers, match up the first two patches, and – finally – started stitching after lunch.

P9110003a

Some how, somewhere in 36 seams, my bobbin thread apparently “jumped the track.”  From the top, everything looked OK, but as you can see on that piece in the center above, all was not running flatly – er, smoothly.

P9110002a

Notice the ripples?  The stitches (which are shortened to begin with), started pulling up.  It’s actually a nice gentle gather – if I was trying to do a gather.  More than half need to be ripped out and re-sewn.  As if that wasn’t bad enough, the stitch length got smaller as it goes along, so ripping out the seams is no quick and easy task.  Sigh.

If anyone asks for me, I’ll be spending some quality time with my seam ripper.

2 comments:

Gina E. said...

Oh shit.... I've had a few almost equally annoying experiences when the bobbin has run out of thread and I blithely carry on sewing until I suddenly notice that the last two yards of fabric aren't held together - BLEAH!

virtualquilter said...

Liz,

Be thankful it was some patchwork ... I did some mending and had to unpick a few days ago! Still didn't get a new shirt!