Sunday, September 22, 2013

Serendipity Sunday–Pompom Dahlia

f0d14_pom_pom_dahlia

Now here is a flower I am familiar with!  Dahlias rank pretty high on my list of favorites and the pompoms are the best in my opinion.  (I snagged this photo from YourNaturePhotos.com, by the way.)  Come to think of it, these balls of color would look pretty good in the front garden next to the roses.  Hmmmm.

P9220001a

But moving on . . . this flower begins with the same octagon as the Mandarin last week.

P9220006a

In fact, it is almost exactly the same flower, but without any batting to bulk it up.  There is one difference, however, that makes these unique.

P9220007a

This photo doesn’t show it very clearly, but the individual petals are stitched open near the center.  That makes for greater exposure of the contrasting color, especially when the outer edge is gathered.

P9220011a

I flattened the spheres a bit for pinning them to the background, but they can be “fluffed” out to a rounder form when they are permanently stitched down.

P9220009a

Here are the dahlia and mandarin side by side so you can see the difference. 

P9220009a

The autumn garden is now about half done.  There’s still a lot of space to fill.  I’m really enjoying this book.  I hope you are too.

No comments: