Thursday, October 16, 2008

Fusible Web Revisited

Remember this?  (Refresh your memory here.)

PA040008

Well, a couple of people asked me to reveal the name of this product.  So, in the interest of saving others some of the troubles I've had, I'll tell all.  It was my previous favorite Wonder-Under by Pellon.

Now, I first encountered problems with this a couple of years ago.  I did some searches on the internet and came across a bulletin board - hosted by Pellon, I think - where there was a lot of discussion about the release failing on Wonder-Under.   A company representative explained what they thought was going on and said they hoped to have it fixed soon. 

Since then I think I have tried every fusible product on the market!  Not all created equal - I'm sure you all know that!  I've been really happy with HTCW TransWeb, but lately I've not been able to get it locally.  Bummer.  I want something light, that doesn't gum up my sewing machine needle too much, and has a paper backing for small applique pieces. 

I love Pellon's other products.  The craft weight interfacing is great!  But apparently they haven't solved the release paper issue.  Or - there is an awful lot of old product still going out the door!

By the way, Suze left me a comment saying I can remove the paper backing before applying heat and the web will work just fine.  I finally had a chance to try it and it was great!  Now, why didn't I think of that?  Thanks so much, Suze.  Yes, I have almost a yard left of the stuff!  I'm too tight to just throw it out and now I feel all "green" to know I won't have to!

With that resolved, I can get back to making journals!

4 comments:

Suze said...

You are welcome! I am glad you don't have to throw your fusible out! Credit for the idea goes to Melody Johnson, one of the members of the Chicago School of Fusing...
I was glad to learn of the technique, since I am 'frugal' too...and hate throwing out stuff...
Melody recommends testing a strip of every batch of fusible as soon as you get it home so you know if its the bad stuff or not..

Kay said...

Interesting post. I've never been able to use Wonder-Under, going back over 10 years. I think the idea that just some of the product was faulty is a myth. It's just not good, period. But I like the idea of removing the backing before applying heat. That would make it like Trans-Web, which I also like better than anything. Steam-a-Seam is pretty good too, but sometimes tricky.

Maggi said...

Interesting to read of your problems. I have always used Bondaweb but recently discovered Mistyfuse. It does not have a paper backing but if you can cope with that it does not gum up your needle, brilliant if you are doing a lot of stitching on the piece.

Liz in Kansas said...

Misty Fuse is fast becoming the web of choice. I do love the way it "needles" and I really like that it comes in a dark version. Sometimes, however, I really need a backing to draw a shape on. I'm thinking there must be a way to work around that. Freezer paper comes to mind!