Saturday, October 25, 2008

October TIF

Take It Further Challenge number ten!  This one is about where you create art.  Sharon's quote:

This month the challenge is to  think about your textile work space. How do you feel about this space? What role does it play in your life?

She suggested that we take this opportunity to share pictures of our workspace.  Since mine didn't look too messy that day, I took photos right away!  If you don't think this is very neat - you ought to see it on an average day! 

  PA040006 PA040007

This room has pretty much become the center of my life.  I spend a lot of time in here, plus there are things here to represent the important things in my life.  Reminders of my family and friends are all around me.  Especially Sarge.  He has worked wonders in a cement floored basement - added lots of light, hauled furniture up and down, built shelves and tables, stacked and re-stacked books, even painted some of the pipes magenta - a color he hates!  He knows how to make me happy!

And that is what this month's theme is about.  My workspace makes me happy!  On a "blue" day I can just sit in the middle of all my "Stuff" and feel better.  On a good day, there is music and off-key singing going on!  (Good times for Sarge to work outdoors!)  So I decided to make a piece that includes bits and pieces of Things I Love.

October TIFOne thing I really love is color!  All sorts of color!  I have a few favorites, but there really is not a single color that I don't like.  So, that meant they all have to be in this piece!  I started with rainbow solids and then selected additional fabrics that illustrate some of my favorite things - or, in some cases, a fabric that I just really like. 

I used scraps of the same fabrics, cut into "snippets", to create a collage for the center piece.  And lots of free motion stitching - using my Bernina Stitch Regulator, of course!  Once the blades and centerpiece were assembled, I used gold thread to do some machine embroidery. 

Then I hauled out my beads and charms and selected things that represent my favorite things.  Things like Music and Art and Cats and Dogs and Dolls. 

PA240012Things like Creating and Masquerades and Piggies!

PA240017  Things like my Sewing Machine and Chocolate and other Sweets!!

Oh, I really had fun with this one!  I just let my emotions take over.  If the Principles of Composition were living beings, they would all have headaches now! 

There you have it.  Don't forget to leave me a comment - and go here to enter the Blogiversay Giveaway!  This is post number 95 - counting down to 100!

8 comments:

Paula Hewitt said...

This is great. I love the rainbow and the charms - its a great way to interpret the challenge - that watermelon fabric is great!
great workspace too. probably as messy as mine would be if i had one...

Vicki W said...

I think your October TIF is perfect! I am really enjoying seeing people's studio spaces. I never think of them as crowded or messy I just want to come in and look around and play!

Kathy Raker said...

Very pretty, what do you have planned for it once finished?

Jane said...

Thanks for sharing the photos of your space... I see why you love it. What a special TIF piece, I enjoyed loking at the charms and your fabric choices.

Carla said...

How pretty and creative this is!

Cheryl said...

Colorful, creative and whimsical!

Orice said...

Liz! What a terrific craft studio! Wish I could be there to take in a few hours with you. So many creative projects born here! Love it!

Anonymous said...

I so love your October piece - it made me happy reading about it - and such a good idea. Love your workspace, too - thanks for sharing pix.