I mentioned earlier that I am taking another on-line class. I swear - this is starting to look like an addiction! Don't I have enough on my plate? Apparently the answer is No, because I am enjoying myself immensely!
I am taking "More Journal Making for Fiber Artists" from Sue Bleiweiss. This is the end of week 2 and I finally finished my second journal. Which means I am up to date and on schedule! Cause for celebration, huh?
The design is a tri-fold, which I don't believe I've ever seen before. The signatures (groups of pages all sewn in as a single unit) are attached using a simple binding, although I had to make it difficult by choosing to use ribbon instead of thread! Seems I just can't follow instructions exactly as written! So, what else is new?
Here you can see the trifold design. You can also see the ribbon in the center of this signature. I glued the wider ribbon, along with two pieces of the binding ribbon, onto the back of the journal so it is a permanent part of the book. One just grabs the ends and ties a bow to hold the book closed. I like the multicolored stripe fabric and how it works with the three colors of the ribbons.
Here is the inside of one of the three areas. I used a sunflower fabric that I have had for awhile. Of course I did not notice that it was upside down until after I had finished binding all three sections of the book! Sheesh! I may decide to re-bind this one some day - or not! Using ribbon to bind is not exactly easy!
Anyhoo. Here is Journal Number 2. This one is smaller - 5" x 6" - and would fit inside my tote bag quite easily. The covers are gift wrap that I covered with pink tissue paper and ModPodge. I like the idea of hot pink money!
The binding on this book is called coptic binding. It looks complicated, but once you've gone through the process a few times it is fairly simple. The trickiest part is getting the tension just right. Too loose and everything flops about and refuses to line up; too tight and the book won't open flat! I think mine may be just a little tight, but it does open at least!
I had a bit more fun with the pages/signatures on this one, too. I had a sample page of money-themed postcards and I glued them onto the signature covers. I also played around in my word processor and printed up some lined pages with various money type clipart: stacks of bills, coins, and piggy banks. Oh yes - piggies! Sadly, I got some of them upside down, too. I'm seeing a trend here.
Well. This has been a long one. Friday we will get Lesson 3. Can't wait to see what Sue has in store for us this time!