Saturday, October 4, 2008

A Lesson in Patience

. . . or, An Exercise in Frustration! I'm pretty short on patience, so I guess it is really the second option.


Today I have been working on a journal. I am taking an on-line class (yes, another one! Gotta have some way to keep out of trouble!) from Sue Bleiweiss. This is a follow-up for the class I took earlier this year. Anyhoo – the topic is fusible web. I love this stuff! Er, usually, that is. But we'll get to that. For various reasons, I usually like to use the kind that has a paper backing. I have not been able to get my favorite brand lately, so today I used something else.


Now, the way this is supposed to work is that you press the fusible to your fabric with a hot iron. Then peel away the paper backing and press it to another piece of fabric, interfacing, whatever. The paper backing should come away looking something like this:




Today, I got this:




And a hard job it was, too!


I should have known better. A few years back this company had troubles with their adhesive formula and I stopped buying that particular item. I still buy their other products and their whole line is easily available. So I figured that surely they have solved the problem by now. Ha! That'll teach me!



3 comments:

Grangry said...

Oh Liz, what a mess! Please tell us what type you used - for two reasons. First so I can avoid it, but secondly, someone may have some tips on how to use this particular type...............

Suze said...

if you have any more of that batch...sepeerate the fusible web from the backing BEFORE you press it onto the fabric..use a teflon sheet to press with and all will be well..the fusible web is fine..it's the release paper that has the problem...

Annie said...

I'd like to know the brand too. I had that happen to be a long time ago. I use Stitch Witchery now - no backing to pull off, but for some things it would be better if there was a backing.